February 4, 2022

Migrate To Canada As A Civil Engineer

If you are a civil engineer, the second-largest country in the world needs you. With cities that never stop expanding, to constantly upgrading communities, the need for civil engineers in Canada has never been greater. For this reason, the country has its arms open wide for specialized civil engineers, and skilled foreign nationals will find some of the world’s most well-paying jobs here.

If you have always wanted to work in Canada as a Civil Engineer, then this might be your opportunity to grab a temporary work permit and secure your way to permanent residency in the country.

Opportunities for Civil Engineers in Canada

Hundreds and thousands of foreign engineers migrate to Canada every year, and they work across several sectors, such as civil, electrical, industrial, mechanical, and manufacturing. According to a labor market study conducted by Engineers Canada, the country’s industrial sectors require more engineers in the civil sector.

With Canada working on expanding its infrastructure, the rising number of skilled workers who are retiring, and the increased number of young professionals relocating to urban cities, civil engineering is a skill that is in high demand across the country. They require more civil engineers to be part of the numerous public and private sector projects that involve building coastal installations, designing structural steel fabrications, and rapid transit facilities.

Being an in-demand job role, you can expect a competitive salary when working as a civil engineer in Canada. Neuvoo reports that civil engineers take home a generous salary of around $60,000, whereas experience workers are entitled to nearly $102,000. Furthermore, if you are migrating to Canada with your family, you will get to enjoy free healthcare and education for your children.

The Code for Civil Engineers on the NOC

For starters, Civil Engineers will have no problem applying for a visa to Canada through the Canadian Government’s Immigration program. In fact, the occupation is also listed on the targeted occupation list, aka, the NOC list (National Occupation Code List). The code for civil engineers on the NOC is 2131.

Migrate to Canada with Pelican Migration Consultants

If you are a civil engineer and are looking for new opportunities, look no further than Canada which welcomed more than 400,000 newcomers in 2021. If you are ready to work in Canada, our experienced consultants can help you.

So, how do you go migrate to Canada as a civil engineer?

Well, there are a few options to consider. The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) managed by the Express Entry system might be ideal for you if you want the freedom to live in any province. On the other hand, if you have a particular province in mind, you should migrate to Canada through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). However, if you are a small-town person, who enjoys access to open spaces, and a laid-back lifestyle, then Canada’s Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot might appeal to you.

Learn more about Canada’s popular immigration and visa program below.

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

Managed by the Express Entry system, the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), quickens the processing times for permanent residency applications. Now, you might be wondering how fast it is. Well, your application for permanent residency will be processed in as little as six months. Your immediate relative can also be included in your application.

The steps to migrating to Canada under the FSWP are as follows:

Step 1: Creating your online profile

Based on the information you provide, you will be given a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score which is commonly known as Permanent Residency (PR) Points. Your overall score will be based on factors like your age, CLB language proficiency, work experience, arranged employment, level of education, etc.

Step 2: Receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA)

An Express Entry draw takes place every two weeks when the highest scoring candidates will be sent Invitations to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency in Canada.

Step 3: Apply for Permanent Residency

Once you receive an ITA, you can go forward and apply with all your requirements, like your medical examination results, IELTS language test results, copy of your ID documents, etc.

  • Provincial Nomination Program (PNP)

Apart from the Express Entry, Canadian provinces and territories also offer unique immigration programs that are aimed at attracting skilled international workers into their respective regions. An important PNP worth remembering is the In-Demand Skilled Worker Stream that is linked to Express Entry.

For instance, if a province is facing a shortage of civil engineers, the provincial government will analyze the Express Entry pool to find civil engineers who meet the requirements for a nomination. Receiving a nomination will get you an additional 600 CRS points, meaning you are almost guaranteed an ITA.

  • Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP)

A community-driven program, Canada’s Rural Northern Immigration Pilot’s primary goal is to bring skilled workers to smaller communities in Canada like Brandon in Manitoba and Thunder Bay in Ontario.

Just like the PNP, you will receive a community recommendation to migrate to Canada. However, the RNIP isn’t linked to the Express Entry System, unlike the PNP. You will need to meet the specific criteria set forward by a community to receive a community recommendation.