September 7, 2021

Migrating To Canada As An Architect: Things To Know

Migrating to Canada is going to be a smart move, especially as an architect. Canada is one of those countries in the world that are pretty welcoming towards migrants. Additionally, the country is looking to consistently increase its population. So, skilled foreign workers are more than welcome to enter Canada and tap into the numerous job opportunities.

Currently, countries across the world are embracing new development. So, the demand for construction-related professionals is always high.  Migrating to Canada from the Commonwealth nations are relatively straightforward.

So, if you can withstand the freezing cold winter, there is no reason not to migrate to Canada.

Migrating to Canada as an Architect

Due to the high demand for architects in the country, the job has been added to the targeted occupation list known as the NOC list (National Occupation Code in Demand List). Every job on the Canada NOC List comes with an assigned immigration code. And for architects, the code is 2151. This code is also referred to as the NOC code for Industrial Architects.

The primary responsibility of architects in Canada revolves around constructing a building. Architects will work in the construction industry and will be involved in designing and building new spaces around the country. They might also be asked to conserve the old building and come up with new ways of using them. Architects are also to plan the process of construction and ensure the project is completed successfully. For this reason, the architect is an in-demand job in Canada.

If you have been keeping a tab on the news about migrating to Canada, you might have read online that having a job offer is a prerequisite to enter the country through the Express Entry process. However, you also have other options to secure your Canada Visa as an architect.

To begin with, architects have the option to apply for Canadian immigration through the Canadian Government’s Immigration program. This happens to be great news for architects worldwide who are hoping to live and work in Canada.

Express Entry for Canada isn’t simply a visa class. Instead, it is a simple method that Canadian Immigration leverages to choose the right candidates for a permanent residency visa. In such a scenario, an architect looking to migrate to Canada can leverage the Federal Skilled Worker Visa and Provincial Nominee Program.

How to Migrate to Canada as an Architect?

If you wish to successfully practice as an architect in Canada, here are the key steps you should take before migrating to Canada.

  • Before you start your application process to move to Canada, you have to do enough research to get a general idea about how your education and qualifications might be viewed in Canada. Additionally, you should have a good knowledge of the Canadian labor market and workplace culture.
  • It is also vital that you reach out to the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB) and the provincial or territory regulatory body in the area where you prefer to live and work. You will also have to figure out the right procedure and the potential costs and time required to obtain a travel and work permit. You can get additional information about the steps involved in licensing before immigrating and afterward.
  • One of the essential requirements to migrate to Canada is that you should possess advanced English or French language skills to practice the profession. Even if you are great at speaking both English and French, it is ideal that you enhance your language skills by enrolling in a language class while you are in your home country.

Employment Requirements to Migrate to Canada as an Architect

  • A bachelor’s degree from an accredited school of architecture.
  • You may also require a master’s degree in architecture.
  • You should also have completed a three-year internship under the supervision of a registered architect.
  • You might also have to complete the architect registration examination.
  • Then, you will have to register with a provincial with a regulatory body (it is a requirement in all provinces and the Northwest Territories.
  • If your employer asks for it, you might have to get a certification for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED). It is offered by Canada Green Building Council.

How to Migrate to Canada as an Architect Through the Express Entry

One of the best options to migrate to Canada as an architect is through the express entry system. The express entry is a point-based system that ranks candidates who have applied for a Canadian visa based on various aspects. Candidates from the express entry pool with the highest scores are chosen according to the Comprehensive Ranking System. The selected candidates receive permanent residence through employment.

Your CRS score is calculated based on the following criteria:

  • Age
  • Academic qualifications
  • English or French language skills
  • Your spouse’s qualifications
  • Work experience

Would You Like to Migrate to Canada as an Architect?

Migrating to Canada might sound simple, but the process isn’t as straightforward as it sounds. The laws are a bit complex, and for this reason, it is ideal to reach out to an immigration professional who can help and guide you.

At Pelican Migration Consultants, we give our applicants high chances of getting their applications through our streamlined process. All our cases are managed by competent and experienced immigration professionals, meaning you can trust our services. Our experts are licensed and possess the utmost knowledge about the Canadian immigration process.

So, if you are ready for the next steps, why not reach out to us now for a one on one consultation.