August 5, 2021

How To Migrate To Canada As A Skilled Worker: Your Complete Guide

Migrating to another country is quite a difficult decision. Though it seems simple, you will find the process getting overwhelming when you look at your options. Over the past few years, Canada has become a hot country among people looking to migrate. If you are interested in relocating to Canada, we would like to walk you through one program that will help you migrate to Canada as a skilled worker—the Federal Skilled Worker Express Entry Program.

So, What is the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

The federal skilled worker program is one of the top immigration programs offered by Canada that allows skilled foreign workers to settle in the country as permanent residents. The program was initiated in 1967. However, it was in 2015 that Canada allowed candidates to apply for the program through the Express Entry System. The federal skilled worker program will grant you a five years multiple entry visa, thereby enabling you to work and settle in Canada.

What are the Requirements to Apply for Federal Skilled Worker Program?

To qualify as a potential candidate for the federal skilled worker program, you should meet three primary requirements.

  • Skilled Work Experience
  • Language Ability
  • Experience

Additionally, there are six factors that will access your eligibility to migrate to Canada as a skilled worker.  You will be allotted points for each factor, and you have to secure a total of 67 points or higher on the 100-point grid to qualify. Now, let’s take a look at the six factors.

  • Language Skills – Minimum 16 and Maximum 28 Points

To be eligible for the federal skilled worker program, you should be able to communicate in any of the country's two official languages – English or French. To meet the minimum threshold, candidates should score at least 16 points. Those who possess a higher language proficiency can even bag up to 28 points.

You will have to take an approved language test to prove your proficiency in the chosen language—for instance, IELTS for English and TEF for French.

  • Education – Maximum 25 Points

Those who have completed their education outside Canada will have to submit an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report. Points will be awarded after your credentials get assessed by a designated third party to determine their Canadian equivalent. The highest points are awarded to applicants who hold doctoral degrees.

  • Age – Maximum 12 Points

Age is an essential factor when migrating to Canada as a skilled worker. Therefore, candidates aged between 18 and 35 are awarded the maximum points. Each additional year above the age of 35 will see a reduction in points by 1. No points are awarded to those aged 47 and above.

  • Arranged Employment – Minimum 0 Points and Maximum 10 Points

Candidates with a valid offer of employment in Canada will get additional points to strengthen their candidature. This is done to streamline the labor market and reduce the processing time for employers and their prospective employees.

To validate the employment offer, the employer in question will have to prove to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada that the foreign worker they hire will have a neutral or positive economic effect on the local labor market.

If you have a validated employment offer, you will be awarded 10 points.

  • Adaptability – Maximum 10 Points

This last factor will award you 10 points based on two different elements. First, a validated offer of employment will score you five adaptability points. Then, if you have a spouse coming along with you, you can use their factors like education, language proficiency, and work experience to get additional five points.

What Occupations are Eligible for Federal Skilled Worker Program?

To be eligible for the FSW program, your occupation must fall in the below skill types.

Skill Type 0: Management jobs, like retail and wholesale trade managers, restaurant managers, managers in accommodation and food service, etc.

Skill Level A: Professional jobs require a degree from a university, such as engineering and construction occupations, IT occupations, legal occupations, etc.

Skill Level B: Technical jobs and skilled trades that require a college diploma or training as an apprentice, including plumbers, retail salespersons, chefs, general office workers, etc.

How to Apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Visa?

Here is a step-by-step process of how to apply for the FSW program—from checking your eligibility to getting your Canadian PR.

Step 1: Checking Your Eligibility

Step 2: Creating Your Express Entry Profile

Step 3: Receive Your Invitation to Apply (ITA)

Step 4: Review Your E-Application and Get Your Canadian PR

Step 5: Apply for a PR Card


Step 1: Checking Your Eligibility

Obviously, the first step to migrate to Canada as a skilled worker is ensuring you meet all the minimum requirements and score 67 points or above using a Federal Skilled Worker points calculator.

Step 2: Creating Your Express Entry Profile

As a next step, you should create your express entry profile by submitting your identification documents (a valid passport), Education Credentials Assessment (ECA), and language proficiency test results.

During an FSW Canada draw, you will also be screened for medical and criminal inadmissibility. So, you might also have to submit other documents like a medical examination report from an IRCC recognized panel physician, work experience letters from previous employers, and a police clearance certificate from a local police station.

Now, before heading to the third step, you should check your CRS Score. In case your score doesn’t make the cut, our immigration consultants in Dubai can help you with ways to increase your CRS score.

Step 3: Receive Your Invitation to Apply (ITA)

After receiving an ITA for Canadian PR, you should submit the electronic Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR) within 60 days.

Step 4: Review Your E-Application and Get Your Canadian PR

During this phase, a Canadian immigration officer will go through your application and tell you if you are to submit any other information. If everything is fine, your application is approved, and the confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) document will be sent to you.

Step 5: Apply for a PR Card

Once you get your COPR, you are then all set to apply for your PR card. When traveling outside Canada, you can use this card to prove your status in the country.

Recommended Canada Immigration Consultants

Immigration is often challenging. However, with the right Canadian immigration consultants, things can get easier. RCICs are generally knowledgeable about the available immigration programs, and they would often come up with a plan to get you your preferred residency.

At Pelican Migration Consultants, we have been helping people relocate to Canada for more than five years. Don’t believe us? Well, our customer testimonials can vouch for us.

From improving your CRS score to guiding you on the migrating process, we can help your journey as smoothly as possible.