April 4, 2022

How to get Educational Credential Assessment for immigration to Canada?

Applying for such Educational Credential Assessment, or ECA is an essential step in applying for your Canada PR visa if you have done your schooling outside of Canada. According to the ECA report, your educational credentials are equivalent to a Canadian secondary school diploma or a post-secondary educational diploma. Read on to know more about ECA and what steps are required for the procedure.


What is Educational Credential Assessment for immigration to Canada?

An educational credential assessment (ECA) is used to ensure that your foreign degree, diploma, and perhaps even certificate (or other evidence of your credential) is valid and comparable to a Canadian one. ECAs are classified into several types. For legal purposes, you must obtain an ECA. If you received another type of ECA, depending on the level of ECA and/or issuing organization, you may be able to have it re-issued.

In your Express Entry profile, you should include your ECA report as well as the reference number. Your ECA report may be useful when looking for work. However, it does not guarantee that you will get a job in your field or that you will obtain a license to practice in a professional organization at a certain level (job).


Why is Educational Credential Assessment needed?

If you finished your education outside of Canada, you will need an evaluation to:

  • Be a primary candidate for the Federal Skilled Workers Program (Express Entry), or earn ranking points for education completed outside of Canada.
  • If your spouse or common-law partner is accompanying you to Canada, you can also earn points for their education.
  • A Canadian degree, diploma, or certificate does not require an assessment.
  • To accumulate points, your report must demonstrate that your foreign credential (degree, diploma, or certificate) is equivalent to a Canadian secondary education (high school) or post-secondary certification.

Your report must demonstrate that your foreign credential is genuine and equivalent to a finalized secondary school (high school) or post-secondary credential in Canada. If it does, you should include the outcome as well as the unique identifier in your Express Entry profile. If your report indicates that your credential is not equivalent to a completed Canadian credential and also that the foreign educational institution is not recognized, You will not receive any points if you do not meet the education requirement under the Federal Skilled Workers Program.

Your report must include:

  • It must be issued by an organization or professional body designated by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada for legal purposes
  • It must be issued on or after the date of designation of the organization or professional body
  • It must not be more than 5 years old on the date you fill out your Express Entry profile and apply for permanent residency.


Points earned for the level of education after getting ECA

Level of Education Points (25 max)
Doctoral (PhD) level 25 points
Master's level or professional degree. Occupation related to the degree must be:

- NOC 2016 Skill Level A, and

- Licensed by a provincial regulatory body

(Also, the Degree program must be in one of the following academic disciplines: Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Dentistry, Podiatry, Optometry, Law, Chiropractic Medicine, or Pharmacy.)

23 points
Two or more post-secondary credentials, one of which is a three-year or longer post-secondary credential 22 points
Three-year or longer post-secondary credential 21 points
Two-year post-secondary credential 19 points
One-year post-secondary credential 15 points
Secondary school/high school diploma 5 points


How to get your Educational Credential Assessment done?

Your assessment must be performed by an organization or professional body designated by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada. They will provide you with a report that will inform you what your education is worth in Canada. Processing times, as well as costs, may differ depending on the organization or professional body. When you select a designated organization or a professional body, they will instruct you on how to submit your files in order to receive your assessment.


Designated organizations:

One of these designated organizations are to be used:

designated: April 17, 2013

designated: April 17, 2013

designated: April 17, 2013

designated: August 6, 2015

designated: August 6, 2015


Designated professional bodies

Choosing a designated organization based on your profession. If you intend to work for a large company or in a regulated occupation, your assessment may be required by a specifically designated organization. For more information, contact your employer or even the regulatory body for your occupation.


  • Physicians (NOC 3111 or NOC 3112):

The Medical Council of Canada requires an ECA for your general medical diploma if your primary occupation is specialising physician (NOC 3111) or a general physician doctor (NOC 3112). Medical Council of Canada (professional body for doctors) designated: April 17, 2013

If you have a slightly distinct occupation, your assessment can be done by another designated organisation.


  • Pharmacists (NOC 3131):

If you need a license to practice, you must be evaluated by the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada. Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (the professional body for pharmacists): Designated: January 6, 2014

A license, for instance, would be required if you were treating a patient in a:

  • Long-term care
  • Facility community
  • Pharmacy
  • Hospital pharmacy
  • Other practice environments

If you are in a position where a license is not required, one of the other designated organizations can evaluate your credentials. For instance, you may not need a license to work in a pharma company or in a government job that requires a pharmacy diploma but not a license to practice pharmacy. To find out if you really need a license to practice your intended occupation, contact the regulatory body in the provincial capital where you intend to live.


How to submit your Educational Credential Assessment report for immigration to Canada

  • When you receive your report, enter the results as well as the reference number into your Express Entry profile while keeping your original documents.
  • If you receive the invitation to apply for permanent residence, please be prepared to upload copies.


What should you do if you have two or more credentials?

To receive full credit for having more than one credential:

  • At least one of the credentials must be for a three-year or longer programme
  • Each credential must have a valid educational credential assessment (ECA).
  • The order in which you complete your credentials has no bearing on your score.


How to Add More Than One Educational Credential to Your Profile

  • Go to your profile's Study and languages form
  • Fill out all of the areas in the Education history section with your first credential
  • Then use the credential for your highest degree, diploma, or certificate.
  • When you click the Save and add button
  • Steps 1–3 should be repeated for all of your remaining educational credentials.
  • You are not permitted to submit more than one educational credential in the same field.


Would You Like to Migrate to Canada from Dubai?

As one of the best Immigration Consultants in Dubai, our primary goal is to offer you all the necessary information you require to make the right decisions. We help you plan and manage your immigration to Canada and eventually lead a successful life in the country of your dreams. What’s more, we don’t make you spend a penny more or wait a day longer until and unless it is out of our control.

Because of the continuously changing immigration standards and regulations, which are hard to interpret and pursue, it is best to contact Canada Immigration Consultants who can assist and guide you throughout the process. We provide professional one-to-one assistance ensuring you give your best in front of the Canada immigration Department. We help the clients in analyzing the clients' chances of being granted a visa, then preparing clients and giving feedback for VISA interviews, developing a customized immigration strategic plan for each client separately.