February 24, 2024

Establishing Family Ties in Express Entry: Your Path to Canada Immigration

The Canadian immigration system recognizes the value of maintaining family unity. Therefore, family members of Express Entry applicants may be included in a permanent residence application.

There are specific documentation needed to demonstrate your family's relationship while seeking for permanent residence with them.

Applicants for Express Entry are permitted to enter Canada with their dependent children and spouses or common-law partners. They need to be listed on your Express Entry application as dependents in order to travel with you. Whether or whether these family members intend to travel with you is immaterial; they still need to be listed on an Express Entry application.

Express Entry and Dependents

As part of their applications, candidates must include documentation of their relationships. Legal records that demonstrate a connection typically serve as this proof. Marriage licenses, for instance, will attest to spousal ties. The marriage license needs to attest to the fact that the union was lawful in the nation in which it was consummated and would remain lawful in Canada.

Individuals in common-law partnerships will require comprehensive documentation of their relationship. An application stating their common-law relationship must be submitted by the applicants. The IRCC has given this paper. Additionally, the pair needs to provide documentation of their minimum 12-month cohabitation. Documentation from bank accounts, utility bills, and rental agreements might serve as proof of this.

You must also demonstrate your children's link to you if they are dependents. Canadian immigration officials will accept a birth certificate or baptismal certificate for biological children. It can also be necessary for some families to submit paperwork proving they employed surrogacy or other assisted reproductive techniques. If you adopted any of your dependent children, additional documentation attesting to the adoption's legal status is required.

Remember that you need to demonstrate your ability to provide for your dependents in addition to providing legal documentation proving your relationship to them. You will need to demonstrate during the Express Entry procedure that you have the resources necessary to sustain your family and yourself.

You can demonstrate this, for instance, with bank statements that list your assets. If you have a work offer in Canada, things might also go more smoothly for you.

Points for Your Partner or Spouse

Your CRS points may increase if you add your common-law partner or spouse to your Express Entry application. Spouses can improve your score by earning points for their education, professional experience, and language proficiency.

Furthermore, it's likely that your common-law partner or husband has a stronger application than you have. If so, you ought to think about designating them as the main Express Entry applicant.

Getting Married During Express Entry

Marriage is certainly a time to rejoice, but you might not know how it will affect your immigration status. It is crucial to remember that you must notify the IRCC if you are getting married while applying for Express Entry. This is so that the Canadian government can assess your eligibility and be informed of any updates regarding the makeup of your family. The admissibility of your spouse also affects your eligibility. Consequently, in the event that your spouse declines to travel with you to Canada, you will still need to perform this obligatory step.

Save necessary documents to attach to your application, such as a legitimate marriage certificate, just like you would if you were married before applying for Express Entry. The IRCC will inform applicants of the next procedures pertaining to their application and extra documentation as soon as they are informed of the new marriage.


In conclusion, including family members in your Express Entry application for Canadian permanent residence is not only recognized by the immigration system but also entails specific documentation requirements to prove family relationships. Legal documents such as marriage licenses and proof of cohabitation are essential for spouses or common-law partners, while birth certificates or adoption papers are necessary for dependent children. Moreover, demonstrating your ability to provide for your family financially is a crucial aspect of the application process.

Assistance Offered by Pelican Migration Consultants for Family Inclusion in Your Express Entry Application

Legal Documentation Guidance: Assistance in gathering and organizing required legal documents such as marriage licenses, birth certificates, and adoption papers.

Financial Assessment Support: Guidance on demonstrating financial stability to support your family during the immigration process, including the provision of bank statements and employment offers.

Partner and Spouse Point Calculation: Assistance in calculating Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points for spouses or common-law partners, which can enhance your overall score.

Application Modification: Advice on modifying your application if you get married during the Express Entry process, ensuring compliance with IRCC regulations and updating necessary documents promptly.

Ongoing Support: Continuous support throughout the application process, ensuring all steps are completed accurately and efficiently to maximize your chances of a successful immigration outcome.

Explore your Canadian immigration pathways through our complimentary online assessment! Embark on your journey to immigrate to Canada today!