March 27, 2019

Caregivers Get New Pathways to Permanent Residency in Canada

Canada has announced a new interim pathway for Caregivers who came in Canada after 30th November 2014 but have not qualified for Canadian PR yet. This pathway will allow them to apply for Permanent Residency in Canada. As per IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada), the new interim pathway will be active for 3 months from 4th March 2019 to 4th June 2019.

Also, two new five-year pilot immigration programs are going to be announced in November 2019 giving Caregivers direct pathway to PR. These are the New New Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilots. Let’s take a more detailed look into these new changes.

The Three-Month Interim Pathway for Caregivers

This program is a temporary 3-month intake designed for Caregivers who were working in Canada anytime after 30th November 2014. The caregivers can be home childcare provider, home support worker or a combination of both. The important point to note is that they should have arrived in Canada through Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program. Also, their work experience must match the initial description and list of main duties for Canada’s
National Occupational Classification (NOC) Group 4411 or 4412.

Requirements for Interim Pathway For Caregivers

  • Caregiver must be residing outside of Quebec
  • Caregiver must have a work permit in Canada OR
  • Has applied for renewal of work permit OR
  • Has applied and is eligible for restoration of status. Also, he/she should have held a work permit recently
  • The caregiver should at least have CLB/NCLC 5 language proficiency in English or French
  • Caregiver must have at least 12 months of full-time work experience in a relevant job in Canada since November 30, 2014.
  • Educational qualifications required - Minimum Canadian high school diploma or non-Canadian educational diploma, certificate or credential that’s equal to a Canadian high school diploma.

In the case of foreign educational credentials, an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), issued within five years before the date of application would be required.

Please Note: The new interim pathway for PR is not applicable for Caregivers who possess a work permit or whose most recent work permit is through the Live-in Caregiver Program.

Two New, 5 Year Immigration Pilots for Caregivers

The IRCC will be replacing the “Caring for Children” and “Caring for People with High Medical Needs” pilot programs with the “Home Child Care Provider” and “Home Support Worker” pilots in November 2019. Both of these new immigration pilots are for five years and will allow spouses and children of Caregivers to join them in Canada.

New Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilots

The Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilots will be effective from November 30 2019. Whereas the Interim Pathway for Caregivers is for those who are already working in Canada, these 2 new Immigration Pilots are for applicants who are yet to begin working in Canada and want to apply for PR. They will be assessed under these programs and would have to gain two years of work experience in Canada. Only then would they be allowed by IRCC to access the “direct pathway” to permanent residency.

Caregivers coming to Canada under this program can switch employers without any hassle. This is because their work permit is tied to their occupation and not to their employer. Also, their family members are entitled to apply for an open work permit and study permit in Canada.

The IRCC has allotted 2,750 application slots each year under Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker pilots. The applications are served on a first come, first served basis.

If you are looking to migrate to Canada, then we can help you out.

Pelican Immigration Consultants can help you with your Canada Immigration application. Our expert consultants can complete all the a to z tasks related to immigration such as application preparation and submission, procuring required documents and coordinating with the immigration office on behalf of you.

For any queries related to Canada Immigration you please feel free to send a mail to


Pelican Migration Consultants