Australia Visitor Visa
The Commonwealth of Australia is the largest country in Oceania. The country is highly urbanised with a population of around 25 million. Canberra is the country’s capital. Sydney is the largest city in Australia. Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane are the major metropolitan areas in Australia which attracts the tourist from all over the world.
Tourist enjoys a range of activities in Australia from exploring the Tasmanian wilderness to visiting the high profile cosmic destination like Queensland, the Gold Coast etc.
When it comes to visiting Australia an entry permit is required for the Non-Australians and for this the Australian immigration has been granting the visitor visas.
Visitor Visa Categories
Australia offers mainly two broad categories for individuals visiting the country for various purposes. The visas come under the subclass 600.
The Australian visitor visa allows temporary entry to the country for the purpose of tourism or short-term business. The visitor visa can be applied either from outside of Australia or from inside Australia.
- Australia Visitor Visa—categories (Subclass 600)
The outside Australia category of visa has the following sub categories based on the applicant’s needs:
- Tourist Stream
- Sponsored Family Stream
- Business Visitor Stream
- Approved Destination Status stream
- Frequent traveller stream
The tourist stream mainly caters visitors to Australia on a temporary basis on a holiday, visiting relatives as well as friends, other short-term non-employment purposes. This visa category also caters the students pursuing courses for three months or less
Purpose of visit—Short term visit for purposes other than business or medical treatment
- As a tourist,
Duration of the proposed stay is allowed for a maximum validity of 12 months and is a temporary visa.
The visa issued can either be one entry or multiple entries. Multiple entries will allow for re-entry to Australia during the validity period of the visa. However no extensions are possible for this visa category.
Apply from Australia
Applicants who meet the specific eligibility conditions will be able to apply from within Australia. The visa decision is made while you are in Australia.
If you held a substantive visa when you applied in Australia, that visa must not have been a Temporary Work (International Relations—visa subclass 403), Domestic worker (Diplomatic or Consular) stream and no substantive visa is not available.
Apply from outside Australia
Inorder to apply under the visitor visa under the tourist category, the applicant should prove:
- The intend is visit only
- have sufficient funds to support the stay in Australia
- Should not employ in Australia
The tourist visa application made outside of Australia also encourages the parents of Australian citizens or permanent residents to reunite with the family for a maximum period of 12 months. The visa is non-extendable in nature.
Fast –Track Applications:
Eligible passport holders of the below countries for a fast track application:
- the People's Republic of China (but not Hong Kong or Macau)
- the United Arab Emirates
Health insurance— health insurance to cover any unforeseen medical treatment
- Australian Visitor Visa—Sponsored family stream
The sponsored family stream of the Australian visitor visa caters the visa requirements of a family member to reunite with the family in Australia. The visiting family member will be able to stay for up to 12 months in a row under this subclass.
Purpose of visit
The sponsored family stream of the Australian visitor visa can be used for:
- Visiting family as well as friends;
- Tourism, cruising,
- Non-business or non-medical treatment;
- Study purpose for duration less than 3 months
The sponsor shall be an eligible Australian citizen or permanent resident. A security bond shall be paid by the sponsor to be eligible for this category
- Australian Visitor Visa—Business Visitor Stream
The Australian visitor visa category of Business Visitor stream best suits the needs of business visitors conducting the below business activities for a period of 3 months:
- General enquires of business or governmental in nature,
- Business Contract negotiations;
- Government visits can be conducted as a part of business
- Participating in conferences, seminars, job interviews or professional examinations
APEC Business Travel Card holders
Holders of an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Business Travel Card (ABTC) is not required to apply for a business visa to visit Australia as the application has been made during the process of applying for the ABTC card. If the card has an inscription ‘AUS’ printed on the back, you can enter Australia for short-term business or tourism during the validity period of the card. The ABTC is valid for 5 years from the date of issue.
However if a separate visa is applied and approved the default visa provided along with the ABTC will be invalid.
The business visa is a temporary visa which is issued for 12 months period and the maximum duration of stay is 3 months. Australian visits can be done anytime as long as the validity ends.
- Australian visitor visa—Approved Destination Status stream
The Approved Destination Status stream visa is intended mainly for Chinese citizens from certain areas of China excluding SAR. The approved tour organised by an approved travel agent is catered under this category for Australian visit. The tour group or individuals can stay upto the dates issued in the visa granting letter.
With Approved Destination visa the eligible entrant can:
- Visit Australia with the pre-approved tour group
- Participates in tour activities mentioned in the travel itinerary
- Australian visitor visa—Frequent traveller stream
The People's Republic of China excluding SAR who travel often to Australia for business or personal reasons are usually issued with the Frequent traveller Australian visitor visa. The applicant shall mandatorily provide the biometrics within China prior to application.
The visa validity can be for up to 10 years however the duration of stay will be allowed for
- a period of 3 months on each entry.
- For a period of one year in total in any two year period
The Frequent traveller Australian visitor visa serves the below purposes:
- visiting family or friends
- tourism, cruising or a holiday
- conducts business visitor activities
The visa can be granted for up to 10 years. You can enter Australia as often as you like while the visa is valid but you can only stay:
- up to 3 months each time you enter
- for 12 months in total in any 24-month period
General eligibility conditions for a Australian visitor Visa:
- Health requirement shall be met—proof of health examination shall be given
- Character requirement shall be met
- Should demonstrate the availability of sufficient funds to support the proposed stay in Australia;
- Should demonstrate the bonafides of the proposed visit
- Invitation letter from family or friend in Australia, inviting you to visit. The letter could state:
- their relationship to you
- the purpose of your visit and length of stay
- if you will be staying with them. If this person will be paying for your stay, provide proof of their funds
- intended activity plans while in Australia
Interested in visiting Australia? To help you with more details on the Australian visit and more details on the visa application part, document preparation and assembly contact Pelican Migration Consultants. Our Australian visa expert will answer your queries and will provide feedback on the exact category of your visa after assessing your visa needs.